"Drama Queen" comes to mind.

I woulda just showed 'em my driver's license and explained what we were doing. Freely giving up yer ID in the sticks at night serves the same purpose as when guys out on the plains would discharge their plains rifles into the air on encountering strangers... visible proof of peaceable intent.

Most likely the Cops wouild have given advice on where was a motel I could stop or a convenience store parking lot where we could take a quick nap.

Closest I've come to that is when I was an itinerant longhair passing through Elk City OK one cold February night in '83. I had car trouble that I could fix the next morning when I could see using spare parts I had brung.

I stopped in the police station (Sheriff's office?) and asked where I could park.

Later that evening the guy stopped by in his squad car and told me it was a good thing I had asked where I could park, else with my "long hair and them New York plates" he "woulda run me in like a shot" grin

I dunno what constitutional rights got violated.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744