Originally Posted by jimmyp
Yesterday in a fit of abject idiocy I tried to shoot a 25 yard 8x8 inch target with my colt 6720 aim point as fast as I could with 25 rounds of federal XM193. What I accomplished was to get my barrel too hot to touch. The gun bounced all over the place. Other than screwing on a muzzle brake or a heavy barrel is there nothing else that would help it? I hit the target 6 times. whistle

Couple of things Jimmy...

Yeah, a heavier barrel and brake are what you're gonna need for a job like that. Your problem is the muzzle rise. A brake will take all that gas leaving the barrel and direct it in a way to keep your muzzle flat.

I use a Surefire brake, but Jerry Miculek makes a brake that works very well and is pretty cheap if you just want to try one (around $40 I think).

Another thing that will really help is to put a longer rail on it. I have 15" rails and use the whole rail to shoot the gun. If you get your support hand out near the end of the rail and hang on to it like you mean it, you'll be able to control the gun a lot better.

But keep in mind that there's only so fast you're gonna get that gun. It's just not made for what you were trying to do. You can put a supercharger and street tires on a Jeep but you're not going to turn it into racecar.

I don't know how fast I could hit an 8" square at 25 yards, but with my competition gun it'd be faaaast. Another thing to think about...Just shoot slower. I could hit that square pretty fast, but not as fast as I could pull the trigger. At some point you're gonna reach the mechanical limits of the gun. There's just so much that comes into play. You could also put on 40 pounds of upper body muscle....It'll help you shoot and the ladies will like it too. (I'm just gonna keep my brake, it's much less work that being in shape).

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling