So if I thought the government was too oppressive when Bush was president, was it my right to overthrow the government? I simply ask that as a rhetorical question. Your idea of oppression or my idea of oppression may be different, and it may be different for every other person out there. You have to remember, we fought a civil war because of differing views of oppression. Defining what is oppressive has also evolved over time. There was a period in this country when women couldn't vote. I am sure if you were a woman then, you felt oppressed. But the laws changed, and society's views also changed, not just on that subject, but many others, too.
My reading of the Constitution is that the Founders set in place a government where change would be slow, not dramatic. That is why we have three branches, and why there are checks and balances, and why elections are staggered, as they are.
If people want to be martyrs and take on the government in a frontal assault, I have no doubt the government will be happy to kill them. Sad fact, but true. Timothy McVeigh found that out.