If you lived in the country..... Were getting old enough that a "next dog" would likely be your last dog..... What breed would you choose?

I had a yellow Lab before I met my wife..... Jayne later told me that Amber was a part of the reason I got a second date..... She figured a guy could not be a closet jerk and have a dog that great. Amber lived to be 14.... We had to have her put down 3 years ago.... I still think about her most days.

I guess it has been long enough now that getting a second Lab might be the way to go..... Obedient to a fault, great nose, smart and an attitude that seems to say, "I'm just darn glad to be here with you.....".

A concern I have is not wanting to trip over a new dog and break body parts. Any dog we get will live in the house with us. Amber was often "under foot" not such a big deal when my agility and balance were fine..... Might pose a problem now that I have had some health issues.......

We still have our English Setter.... She turns 12 in July..... Beautiful smart athletic dog with a great nose..... Poetry in motion when out in the woods. Not an obedience breed though. I call her "The Prom Queen" she seems to think she is just so special that the rules don't really apply to her.

I am not thinking I will be doing any waterfowl or upland bird hunting to speak of in the coming years, so a new dog might not have to be a sporting breed.... Main thing would be a good companion dog that will let us know if something is going on outside we need to know about.....

May very well get another Lab.... Just wanted to hear some others thoughts on breed choice. Thanks

Please don't feed the trolls!