I've been blessed with several great dogs. The smartest was an Australian Shepherd/Coyote mix. Also the most determined to escape confinement. Extremely protective of wife and kids. I've had several GSPs that were fantastic hunting dogs, but hell on cats, possums and raccoons. I also had a German-bred dachshund. Her father was a (SP?) Gebrauchsieger who was smuggled out of Germany. He'd killed over 100 foxes and over 80 badgers. Her mom was a first generation out of Germany. That little dog was smaller and leaner than American doxies, tucked up belly and legs that were a touch longer but still short enough to go to ground. She'd flush pheasants and retrieve them. Looked like a porpoise going through tall grass. She had no clue of her size, though, and picked a fight with a Drathaar that killed her. Tore me up, but it was her nature. Great with kids and family, though aggressive in the field.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell