C'mon just say it. "300 Winchester Magnum" that's right, it rolls off the lips easily....

"300 Winchester Magnum", it just conjures up images of western big game hunting now doesn't it. Big bulls echoing their love songs across high mountain basins in early October. The pungent smell of sage with a cool breeze on your face while stalking that 30" mulie on Colorado's western slope. Or the hot, dry, dusty days sitting a top the rolling plains of Wyoming glassing for "speedgoats".

"300 Winchester Magnum" - no other cartridge invokes those types of memories more than the "300 Winchester Magnum"! Not one caliber, not even my beloved 340 Weatherby in an old push feed Model 70 comes close to getting my blood going like the sound of "300 Winchester Magnum".

"300 Winchester Magnum" is the common mans western caliber. My "elk killing machine" of an uncle carried his "300 Winchester Mgnum" for 40 years. Oh yeah, the 300 Weatherby is a little faster, I agree, but it's more of a high society rain down your nose type of round. wink

My Brown stocked Model 70 "300 Winchester Magnum" tips the scale at 7 lbs 12 oz with sling and 3 rounds in the hold. Her weight is just right and she feels like the first time you held that pretty girl at the high school dance. And she's fast too, 200 Partitions at 2900 fps or the 180 Partition at 3150 fps always make easy work on the killing side. She's a dream.

Just don't try to tell me that my 7mm Weatherby Mag doesn't kick just as hard. That's pure BS. A 160 Partition rolling coal outta my Model 700 at 3200 fps will get your attention pretty quick. She comes back just as hard as my "300 Winchester Magnum" and she loves to dance off that front rest like a pretty 100 pound Russian ballerena.

Everyone on here always makes that perfect shot with their "favored little peashooter of the week" while sitting behind their comfy computer. Always stating "put it where it belongs and it will kill". Phoeey and a bunch of hogwash! Reality is different from internet chatter. With a pounding heart, cold toes and frozen fingers and a few split seconds to shoot a bull is when sheet goes bad in the timber. Slop a "super little bullet" from a 7-08 into the wrong place on a bull elk and you have trouble on your hands. And I know many hunters who have done that and walked away telling stories of how they missed clean. Little bullets make little holes and without the "ticket punched thru the lungs" little to no blood trail results. And all these internet cowboys sypher the conclusion that they missed when they really didn't.

Following up an animal shot at 10,000'+, up some steep blowdown filled hell-hole is something that can only be appreciated by those who have done it. Most tire quickly and slink off with an excuse of a miss. And another internet fairy tale to tell all who listen to such silliness.

Slop a 200 grain Partition out of a "300 Winchester Magnum" into the guts of a big bull and you have a good chance of that bull going down pretty quick and a decent blood trail to follow. How do I know this? Because I've done it. We all miss, we all make that bad shot that "somehow" went wrong. And that as Bob Hagel preached to us, is the sermon. It's not what works when everything goes right. It's what works when things go wrong.

And that my hunting friends is where the "300 Winchester Magnum" excels.

One more time....

"300 Winchester Magnum"