Originally Posted by StrayDog
Pack,
I used to have the impression Aussies were gun savvy. A lot of people don't like the 06 because it drops too much.

The 300 WSM is between the 30-06 and 300 Win mag in recoil, but shoots almost as flat as the Win mag. Therefore it can cancel out the need for either one, which was the point of this one battery thread. Unless someone needs to keep their o6 for their wife.

Drops too much? 30-06 is a powerhouse (although I now shoot 270 win more), but having hunted with 30-06 for a long time taking everything from Sambar deer to feral goats, It comes across as the perfect cartridge at "sensible" hunting ranges with a 180grain pill.
I have had a 300win for 10 years or so and keep going back to it when I convince myself I need 200 grains of hate to kill a deer. After lugging it around the mountains for a trip or 2 and cutting away bloodshot meat after I shoot anything I usually head back to 30-06 or now 270 (love the slightly longer legs with a 150grain pill).
As for the recoil and flat shooting ability you are right, but it is still an in between cartridge without the versatility of the mag for big pills, which is where a 300 winnie shines.

the glorified 308 doesn't make sense as the 30-06 came first in my history book, but I have no issues with 308win she's a beaut, but again struggles with heavy bullet weights.
IMHO the 308 is to the 30-06 what the 300WSM is to the 300win mag(I understand the military need/justifications for the development of the 308- I'm only drawing from hunting type scenarios)

Last edited by Pack_Hunter; 07/14/14.