Originally Posted by beretzs
When I was stationed in Camp Pendleton around early 1997, I got there as a PFC and immediately figured there must have been deer in the hills around the base.. So, I found a decent deal my little paycheck could muster and bought a M77 MKII 300 Win Mag in Stainless and Laminate. I put a VXII 3x9 on top and got a couple boxes of Winchester Supreme 180 BT's (couldn't handload in the barracks). I took it out to the desert, zero'ed it at 250 yards and had a BLAST come Fall. It straight knocked them little muley's around I enjoyed shooting that rifle a whole lot.

I then used it to hunt elk and muley, along with a couple black bear. Used the rifle pretty steady for about 5 years till the loonie'ism took hold and I found out I needed 15 other rifles.

I ended up selling that rifle to a good friend who was heading to Wyoming on his first muley and elk hunt. By then I had a bunch of great loads with the 180 PT's and I ran a nice load that went 3050 with RL22. I loaded him up 50 of them and he went on to commence killing a couple of elk, muley's and WT's since. It's the only Ruger I ever wished I could have had back. I didn't like the weight of the laminate, but I wasn't smart enough to know I could have put it into a good McMillan still been happy.

I am currently devoid of a 300 magnum. Had a 300 Wby for a bit, a 300 WSM for awhile and I think the next one will be a Winchester again. It does alot of stuff really well as everyone has mentioned. Maybe not a Wby, but a solid 300 magnum.

This is one of the Idaho Muleys that I took with the old 300..

[Linked Image]

Makes me miss it even more when I look at that picture!

Dammit Scotty, makes me want to scrounge up the stainless Ruger 77 mkII at my dads and put it to good use. He keeps asking me when I'm going to take it home. I've been using my 300 WSM a lot lately and enjoying the heck out of it...Plenty flat shooting and doesn't recoil as much as the old winny..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA