After 33 years with a 7mm RM and 10 years with a .300WM, I don't see a whole lot of advantage for the .300WM. But keep your damn hands off of my .300, its a keeper. Until I got the .300WM I always wondered if I had made the right decision getting the 7mm RM. Didn't wonder too much, though, as the 7mm RM was always effective with the one exception involving an unfortunate buck antelope and Barnes 160g XLCs. I blame that on the bullets, not the cartridge.

Experience with the .30-06's is even less, 7 years, but 3 elk versus 2 with the .300WM. No drama with either. The .30-06's dropped all 3 in their tracks but I attribute that to bullet choice and placement. Neither shot with the .300WM went far enough to matter, maybe 25 yards with one and much less with the other.

When it was time for me to select a rifle as a wedding gift for my soon-to-be #2 son-in-law, I started looking for a .30-06, which is what #1 got. For a variety of reasons, including a ridiculously low cost I couldn't refuse, I purchased a new/display model Ruger MKII in .300WM instead. The only real downside to the .300WM is ammo tends to be more expensive. As for recoil, the .300WM can be downloaded with reduced recoil factory or handloaded ammunition. On the upper end, my 180g .300WM loads run about 3050fps and recoil, while stiffer than the 7mm RM or a .30-06, is still quite manageable. For a while I debated whether to keep the .300WM for myself or keep looking for a .30-06. A few days ago the decision was made when my daughter was visiting and I showed her the .300WM. It is going to my future son-in-law.

IMHO the .300WM is at the top end of all-around, do-it-all cartridges. With reduced recoil handloads or factory ammo it can emulate a .30-06 or even a .308 Win while with full power loads it can provide an extra 100+ yards over the .30-06 in terms of retained energy and velocity. It is one of the best choices for elk.

Of course if future son-in-law doesn't like the .300WM, he can always trade for one of my .30-06's...

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.