Originally Posted by gmoats
Originally Posted by HE112
Was looking at my aftermarket Lone Wolf barrel for my Glock 17 and wanted to see if it would fit into my Model 19, nope longer in dimensions between the breach and lug area than the Model 19 barrel. Looks heavier duty too.

Have read of the Model 17's lasting along time in mileage, wondering if the smaller framed versions will hold up as well?

�..I heard Hackathorn opine that the Glock 17 was the original-design-format and that all other models deviated from it and in the long run it's probably the ONE to have if you're going to just have ONE (however; he was carrying a G19 the last time I was on a range with him). The same argument is made with 1911's---JMB designed it to be a 5" bushing-barrelled gun and that all others are deviations from the original design. That doesn't keep me from carrying a Commander however. I know that I shoot a G-17 better than a G-19 and my wife is just the opposite; however, those are our guns---might not be true with stock or unfamiliar guns. One rarely hears of problems or kabooms with 17's versus other models------Ken also said that if he had to grab only one handgun with which to head for the hills, it would be a G-17----I think Vickers said the same thing. That doesn't make it right, just their opinion.
I'd say that's a pretty good assessment. When Glock started making guns in cartridges other than 9mm, things went horribly wrong. Non 9mm Glocks were some of the LEAST reliable pistols out there in the late '80's to early '90's. I generally don't talk about this much, because I don't want people to think I'm a Glock hater (I'm really not). But Glock has had OODLES of troubles over the years with all their guns; even the 19/17's (although the 19/17's issues were very minor).

I take points away from Glock because they really should have recalled a whole lot of guns, and they never did. They kept spinning things to buy time and not have to make refunds. I guess that's what you have to do when you have a big company, but there were a lot of people who were depending their lives on Glock's products, and it's lucky that Glock's policies never cost a life (that I'm aware of).

Where I give Glock points, is their willingness to never stop developing their product. The G17/19 is one of the most proven pistols out there (not THE, just one of), and they're just brute tough! If I were going to grab one gun and head for the hills and a G17/19 were available, I'd take that over my 1911 in a heartbeat.