Since the 80's people have done some real dumb things trying to break a Glock. Suppose if your determined enough you can do it. As much as I love the slimness, trigger and the feel of a quality 1911 or Hi Power, I carry a G17, with +P+ loads. I have found that evil normally brings an accomplice and more bullets available is never a bad thing.

I believe the polymer striker fired handgun is here to stay. With Wilson Combat 1911's running around 4 grand with a 9 round capability, and the new H&K VP9 at 600 dollars with 16 rounds in the gun, many are looking hard at the H&K/Glock/M&P platforms. Knowing there are no safety's to manually engage and disengage, or having to struggle with a DA/SA, and decock and holster under stress, just engage the threat and shoot. Yes, the triggers are at best OK, but I feel these polymer striker fired semi autos are the new revolver in both simplicity of use and durability.

While the G19 is the most popular 9mm sold today, I would carry which ever feels and shoots best to you. If there is a durability edge, however slight I'd have to guess it would go to the G17 as its the platform that's been tested the most. I would also purchase the 3Gen series, as the 4th Gen has had some teething problems.