Originally Posted by gmoats
Originally Posted by GunGeek
...If I were going to grab one gun and head for the hills and a G17/19 were available, I'd take that over my 1911 in a heartbeat.

Woooo��. the room is spinning...reality as we know it has shifted�.hell may have frozen over��. laugh laugh

I'm not a Glock hater, nor do I think the 1911 is the end all. I think my LW Commander is the right daily carry gun FOR ME. I don't think it's the best gun for the zombie apocalypse, or necessarily "heading to the hills", although it wouldn't be a bad gun, provided I took an extra 9mm top half just for greater ammo choices when ammo runs low.

My reality is painted by the FACT that I'm much more likely to be hit by lightning TWICE in the same day, as to need to just "head for the hills" spontaneously while I'm at 7/11 with no warning or time for any preparation whatsoever.

I have the highest respect for Glocks. They are such a great choice for a military...but I'm not a military nor will I be in a military situation. I carried a Glock when I did executive protection in Mexico because that's what was handed to me, and I was quite happy with it.

What I don't get is the slathering Glock-a-holics who think it's the end all, and must be the end all for everyone.

To be dragging the same pistol through extreme conditions, for years at a time, the Glock would be very hard to beat. But on a daily basis, I don't need that, nor do I envision that I ever will.

As great as a Glock is, it's just not the gun for me. If I want the ultimate in reliability, I'll go with a Browning Hi Power since it fits my hand better, carries easier for me, and I shoot it much better than a Glock. I have yet to see any pistol that is more reliable than a Hi Power; and that includes Glocks.

Here's what I NEED. I NEED a pistol I shoot well; very well. I shoot a Glock well, but I shoot the 1911 much better.

I need a pistol that is 100% reliable with my carry ammunition. I have that. In the 11 years I've carried my LW Commander, it has yet to malfunction on me even once. I shoot about 1k rounds per year through that pistol.

I need a pistol that is flat, light weight, and easy to carry. The LW Commander is as light as a Glock, flatter/thinner, and every bit as easy to conceal with an IWB holster as a Glock 19 (ON ME).

So if I have a choice between two pistols, all else being equal; why would I choose the one that I shoot worse over the one I shoot better?

If the answer to that is "because someone tested it, and it's able to digest more thousands of rounds before it malfunctioned"; my answer would be...I carry two mags; what does that extra supposed reliability get me when the pistol is empty? And if anyone has studied gun fights, especially civilian gun fights, you know that magazine capacity is never the deciding factor; it just isn't. Hits count, that's it. High magazine capacity??? You can never miss fast enough to catch up.