Originally Posted by lvmiker
Speaking of randomness, since a lot of malfunctions in semi-auto pistols are caused by mags perhaps carrying a spare would be a good thing.

mike r
OMG the man just said something that makes sense.

Mike as long as you're being an arse, I'll call you an arse. But every damn time you say something that makes sense, I'll give you credit.

Here's what I learned from John Farnam & Mas Ayoob...

When there is an encounter that involves shooting, you do your shooting and the first chance you get, you head for cover. Once you reach for cover, you reload, and here's why.

1 - No one has ever counted rounds in a gunfight
2 - You may not get another chance
3 - Do you want to face the next engagement with an unknown number of rounds in your gun?
4 - You don't discard the magazine, put it in your pocket in case things get really desperate.

You also rake the slide when you reload, and here's why:
1 - By doing so you ensure that your pistol is fully loaded, and functional. What if your pistol malfunctioned on the last round of the first engagement? In a gun fight you'll be focused on the threat, you won't be focused on your gun. If your training has you reloading in such a manner, than ensuring proper function of your pistol during a gunfight becomes automatic.

Plinking and competitive shooting involves some different practices than training for combat.