Hiring young and bringing someone along might be the best way to do it in the long run.

Not saying there aren't incompetent folks around but a lot of folks just need a helping hand, or rather someone to show them the ropes. People tend to forget that they had to spend 10-20-30 years doing what they're doing to get where they are.

When I got my first job as a computer programmer I was fresh out of school and while I knew how to write code I was still a newb. My supervisor would ride me mercilessly because I didn't have the same knowledge that he had after 20 years of experience. He could have taught me a lot, instead he chose to constantly give me a hard time about my inexperience so after a couple of hard years getting some time on my resume I finally told him to get f*cked and walked off with no prior notice.

You see a lot of that in other areas - folks come here sneering at some newby they heard asking newby questions at a gun counter. None of us were born knowing what our experience taught us over the years.

Just saying, maybe someone is a total screwup, or maybe they want to learn but don't know everything yet and could use someone with a little patience and understanding to show them the tricks of the trade.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!