Originally Posted by local_favorite
Well I get the rifle in the vise with scope on top and decide to test the ejection because of what I've read previously about them and sure enough, live and empty cases both hit the turret every time. So I use my blocks to raise it up a little more, still hits.

Called and emailed EuroOptic.com today to see about returning it for another one. It sucks because it really its a beautiful rifle.

I have a M85 Black Bear chambered 9.3x62 with a 30mm tube S&B Zenith mounted in the newer Optilock Ringmounts. The scope tube center is mounted 1.64" over the bore centerline above the chamber. I shot this rifle with the scope mounted and with it removed to address the iron sights. So far, it has proven to be the most reliable "out the box" production rifle I've handled when it comes to feeding. Even though this Zenith is markedly bulkier over the ejection port compared to a standard 1" Leupold hunting scope with normal turrets, my rifle cycles exceedingly well with no issues. I also have experience with 85s in 338 and 375, in addition to this latest 9.3x62. All functioned correctly out the box with the last being near perfection.

As to scope height, I mount a rifle same as I mount an upland shotgun, without any stock crawl. I find my combination to be a perfect height for my mount, I'd not want it any higher or lower. The dimensions of the Sako stock place my line of sight down the center of the scope tube using the ringmounts. If I were a certified member of the stock crawlers guild, I'd have trouble with the Sako ergonomics.

I just inspected mine by cycling fired Lapua, Norma, and Hornady cases. Cycling fast or slow, the extractor claw holds the case against the bolt face until it strikes the ejector. The ejector only makes the case tilt up high enough to clear the outer lip of the ejection port, and then at that point, the claw extractor pulls and flips the case in its direction which is the correct angle to clear the outer lip of the ejection port and go under the scope body. The force of ejection is completely controlled by the force used to operate the bolt, but the angles stay the same. If I reduce the force to bare minimum, the angles stay the same, but gravity pulls the case back into the port.

Same occurs using live rounds, but the added weight of the bullet requires additional force on the bolt to overcome.

I'd be curious if something was amiss with your claw extractor. Maybe it has a weak hold on the case against the bolt face and is overpowered by the ejector. Possibly this limits its ability to pull and eject the spent case towards its position. If this were the case, I could see how the ejector could dominate the process and push the case through the extractor straight up into the scope body. Maybe a combination of things, including the case dimensions itself, could weaken the extractor hold on the case causing such issue. Regardless, the design is outstanding, but just like my 98s and 70s, at times, things need a bit of tuning out the box. Otherwise, I would like to see a pic of your (blocks?) and testing contraption set-up. What kind of height are you raising the optic center above bore center, etc.?

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood