Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

Almost spepped on this badboy...2" Model 34 Smith came out of the holster asap....one of the reasons it's always on my belt.

Anyone ever use shot loads in their pistols? Thinking about trying some out. Seeing a schitload of rattlers up here this fall..

Ahhh...down here we call that a newborn. laugh

Yes. I've killed dozens, as in multiples of 12, in the last 10 years, most with handloaded .38 shot loads. Until a massive range fire in '11, we had a pretty serious rattlesnake issue around my property. Anyhow, shot size doesn't seem to matter with the .38 as I've used 7.5, 8 & 9 with equal success and in every case, it's dead right there, right now. The .22 shotloads, at least the CCI's are damn near worthless and I lost a couple of good sized rattlers trying to make them work.

I walked in to my shop a couple of months ago just in time to see one slither behind my gun safe.

http://vid60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Rattlerinshop_zps5dfc1e97.mp4

Was at the back of the property last fall and found this one.

[Linked Image]

Was walking the creek about 1 1/2 miles from the house a few months ago and walked up on Mr. Grumpy Pants. He was far enough from the house that I let him go.

[Linked Image]

A few years ago I flipped over a big water trough and found this:

[Linked Image]

that'd be momma and 17 little ones.

My bird dog had this one backed up under a mesquite:

[Linked Image]

Anyhow, I use only shot loads because of the danger of shooting into and around rocks with bullets. My .38, .44's and .45 are all loaded with 5 bulleted rounds and a shot load except during the winter when the snakes are denned up.

"Only accurate rifles are interesting."- Col. Townsend Whelen
"I always tell the truth....that way, I don't have to remember anything."- George Burns
NRA Life Member
Certified NRA Reloading Instructor
Certified Texas Hunter Education Instructor