Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

Almost spepped on this badboy...2" Model 34 Smith came out of the holster asap....one of the reasons it's always on my belt.

Anyone ever use shot loads in their pistols? Thinking about trying some out. Seeing a schitload of rattlers up here this fall..
I've used shot loads in my .44 Mag. Smith Mountain Gun. They will absolutely shred a snake from 10 feet. I went to the Judge but had already killed the snakes out around my house. The one I used it on wasn't killed as quickly or decisively as with the Smith and Wesson 629. Surprisingly, the Governor, which only has 2 1/2" chambers as opposed to my Judge's 3 inchers, patterns better with small shot. I'd highly recommend 9 shot if going with a 410 handgun. The downside to the 44 Mag. shotshells is the expense. Doc Rocket and others have posted recipes for shotshells if you handload. I handload but have never done any shot loads for pistols. I've never tried a 38 or 357 on a snake or anything. IMO the big bores are much preferred for this type of work. That snake would make a good hatband.