I have had good luck with normal size snakes (2-4') with the crimped .22, but 10' is way too far . 4-5' much better and they just melt. I used to carry an air weight J-frame ..38 with two shot capsules first up. The second one usually came forward and locked up the gun from recoil. . So I went to a stainless 60. Not too bad but I have had the first up capsule slip forward from carry in the holster. A drop or two of super glue is recommed.

I am at the ranch a good bit on a metal Mule. A twenty guage, 20" single shot rests in an unzipped gun case just in front of the steering wheel across the dash, loaded with #8s. It works every time. For handguns, the judge or similar would be hard to beat.

Years ago, I knew an old rancher that had a ..45 Colt SAA without rifling ( yes, I know). He worked the ranch with shot shells first up. He said that if he needed hard lead, it would be close, and for that, it worked just fine. For distance, the trusty .30-30.

I'm with Venturo about the #12 shot.

Our snake sightings are down, but not gone. They seem to run in cycles.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero