When I lived in S. Florida (where they have a few snakes) my fishing/shooting partner and I used to load 2 of the CCI shotshells then top off with 158gr. XTP or 158gr.Kieth style SWC. That combination always worked well with water moccasins and rattlers.

Stomping around the everglades west of Sunrise (think Fort Lauderdale)in late August 2010 we ran up on a 7'10" Burmese Python stretched across the trail that my Lab had discovered and pissed off.

What happened in the next several moments was a certified cluster -uck and some teachable moments occurred.
> Never shoot a large caliber snake with a small caliber gun with "snake shot".
> Getting a Labrador pulled back by the collar, drawing and shooting is not conducive to good marksmanship.
> While some may think a 357 Magnum is a peep squeak they probably have never had one go off several times less than three feet away from their left ear.

We did dispatch the snake, I emptied my SP-101 and he emptied his M-66.
The Burmese Python was not impressed by 4 rounds of snake shot, I think all we did was really piss him off and really got him moving.
With 11 rounds fired, aside from the snake shot, there were only 2 body hits and 1 that grazed the head/body junction. So much for all of our range time practice.
Nothing like the heat of the moment and adrenaline to effect your marksmanship.

After that I started carrying my Model 29-2.

SC

Last edited by StarchedCover; 09/11/14. Reason: spelling

Semper Fi