Alright. After 5 pages of preliminary, it's time to bed this rifle into a Mcmillan swirly stock!!!!

Step 1:
Hog out old bedding material. Make sure the barreled action slides into the new stock effortlessly. You also want to make sure the barreled action is centered in the stock. This may require you to remove some of the stock material so the azz end of the receiver can move and point the barrel directly down the center of the channel.

[Linked Image]
I use a yellow inletting paint to make sure enough is relieved. Don't confuse this with the yellow modeling clay. Check out this gap sick.. The original owner had a barrel with a different shank length and contour. This will get covered up pretty easily when we are done. This should be expected when buying a used stock:
[Linked Image]

Step 2:

I wanted 3 points of contact to insure the barreled action would sit in the stock perfectly centered and remain "neutral"/stress free during glass bedding. The 3 points of contact are the pillars in the stock and 1 that I had to make at the tip of the forend:

[Linked Image]

The best thing for this is a fast setting epoxy. For this type of thing I've always used JB quick and it works very well. Set up time is 6 minutes, so you need to apply it and throw the barreled action in and get it set where you want it. Sorry no pics as this is a kind of hurried event:
[Linked Image]

Step 3:
Use some modeling clay in the voids where you don't want epoxy:
[Linked Image]

Step 4:
Remove trigger group and bolt release lever.

Step 5:
Spray the inside of the receiver with Hornady ones shot case lube or other similar release agent.

Step 6:
Spray other hard to get to crevices with the one shot case lube. I then use a little modeling clay on the receiver where the bolt release lever was. This will hopefully add clearance in this area so when the release lever is installed, it clears the side of the stock and works freely.
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_1061_zps96f5292d.jpg[/img]

Do a trial fit to make sure there is a little clearance between the stock and clay. You'll want to do this before adding the epoxy:
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_1053_zps08553745.jpg[/img]

Step 7:
Now coat the outside of the stock with some good release agent. I have been using Johnson's paste wax for a while now and it works great. This will assure a quick clean-up with no epoxy sticking to the outside of the stock where it doesn't belong.

Step 8:
Coat all steel parts of the barreled action with release agent. You can also spray the modeling clay with the hornady one shot case lube. Release agent is your best friend!!

Step 9:
Mix up your bedding compound. I have used many types of epoxy and like Devcon 10110 the best. It's both very strong and durable and easy to work with:
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_1064_zps7ded23e0.jpg[/img]

They limit us to 10 pictures per post, so this will have to be continued in the next post....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA