I started reading O'Connor at around age 12. Don't remember exactly when, but paid for a subscription to Outdoor Life with the first money from my first steady job (a paper route) at that age. But also read a lot of other gun writers, so O'Connor didn't stand out until a few years later, due to his writing style, especially in some of his hunting stories.

I didn't read any Elmer until my early 20's, and one of the first articles I remember had a line in it something like this: "I don't consider any bullet under .33 caliber or 250 grains fully adequate for our fine Idaho elk and mule deer." And I thought: Who is this loony tune?

But as I got older I started appreciating Elmer more, as he was also a fine story-teller, though not as polished as O'Connor. Keith also always mentioned the meat acquired during his hunts, which also appealed to me.

Have used the supposed favorite cartridges of both men considerably, and have considerable appreciation for both viewpoints.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck