FWIW I think I was a lot more influenced by the family members who taught me to shoot and hunt than by any books, at least for the first few years. Of writers it was probably Australians like Col Allison, Vic McCristal and Colin Shadbolt that I first read, and not so much because the US publications weren't available as because the Australian writers were talking about game and gear available here. As well as these I read a lot of Barry Crump, Hemingway, Thoreau and others who wrote about the experience rather than the technical.

In relation to Elmer Keith and Jack O'Connor I do remember as young bloke reading an article about a shoot at Winchester's Nilo Farms and being impressed that Elmer Keith, then 81, was still shooting, but it was not until much later that I read anything he wrote. I have been influenced by the things he developed I guess, but not by his writing - in fact I find it hard to read. I've also read some in its unedited form and kudos must go to whoever had to edit it for publication - writing clearly wasn't the bloke's strong suit. He seems to have been a very knowledgeable and practical fellow though.

O'Connor on the other hand is one whose work I have enjoyed reading, though I first came to it after the man died. I have several of his books, and I would say that they have been of some influence. Now with some 40 years' experience under my belt I still hold much of what he said to be very good advice, or at least consistent with my own views wink.