Muzzle brakes are the devil IMO. They are terribly annoying to anyone remotely near you at the range, and downright dangerous in a field or hunting situation to anyone near the muzzle when you touch it off. If you are shooting a caliber that you cannot handle the recoil from without a muzzle brake, then you need to shoot a lesser recoiling caliber, IMHO. If I was a guide I'd not allow a rifle with a muzzle brake in my camp. I feel for those guys!

I hunt big game with an FN Win 70 EW in 338WM without a muzzle brake and I only shoot 250g NP's in it. This is not bravado but only to make a point� I only feel the recoil at the bench, and limit my range sessions to under 20 rounds max on a good day. In the field, I NEVER even feel it go off quite frankly.

If you have to at least put a removable brake on that .270 and take it off for hunting. I think you can get systems that allows you to remove the brake and replace it with a cap that keeps the POI the same from range (brake) to field (no brake).

God Bless America!