Originally Posted by RVB
I had the range to myself once and was shooting my model 70 in 300WM that has the ported boss. I came back to the bench after checking a target, noticed I had one more shell from a box, and decided to throw the last one at the 500 m gong.

Well, holy [bleep]! I damn near shat myself as I had forgot to put my muffs back on! If anyone has a non ported one laying around I will buy it......

Had a similar situation about 15 years ago. Savage 7RM with the adjustable on/off brake. Shooting off the hood of my truck. Walked back from checking the target. Forgot to put the muffs back on. Blast from the first round "bounced" off the windshield into my left ear. HURT for several days. Now have 10% additional hearing deficit in my left ear versus right. Attributable to one pull of the trigger, with a brake, without hearing protection.

My fault ? Of course, I screwed up... But vowed never again. Rifle went down the road. No future plans for anything that requires a brake. Not knocking the guys that do. But, won't risk another incident on my part...