Originally Posted by HE112

Last time I was at the 100 yard range there was a fellow shooting an AR platform in .308 to my left and it was horrible in the side blast from that thing. Now I am wondering if my .270 Win. is that bad as it is also a modified 30-06 family of cartridges? I know that there are many types and patterns of muzzle breaks for rifles out there, does anyone know if the .270 is as bad as the .308 in side blast, or is it all the variables of the muzzle break design itself? I could remove it and put on the muzzle cap that came with the gun but it is too nice with the muzzle break on it at this time.

Yes, your .270 is likely every bit as bad as the .308 in side blast. I personally wouldn't shoot a braked rifle next to anyone at a range.

Two of my rifles are braked and they are LOUD. They're my 6mmBR and my 22-250 that I use for prairie dog hunting. I don't have them on there because I'm a recoil puss or anything like that (my .375 H&H is unbraked), I have them on there because I can watch the bullet impact through the 20X scopes with the brakes. Call me twisted but I like watching the PD's flip/flop/explode through the scope and the brakes let me do that. The guys screaming that there's never a reason for a brake are full of BS, wanting one is a good enough reason. They have their place just like anything else. You've gotta use some sense with them though. Don't shoot with them at a range unless you're alone, fortunately I don't have to shoot at a public range so that isn't a problem for me. Make sure you have good hearing protection, I use ear plugs plus muffs when I shoot them. It's nice to be able to go through 100 rounds and not even feel it in your shoulder.

A decellerator pad does not reduce recoil better than a brake, not even close.