Originally Posted by smokepole
I suppose none of this has anything to do with the OP's question.

smokepole;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope this finds you and yours doing well.

Since we've wandered off the road and into the weeds a wee bit on the thread, I thought I'd offer the perspective of most if not all of the guides I know here in BC/Yukon.

If they are guiding a client for a non-dangerous animal such as sheep, then it's possible to work around a rifle with a brake a bit easier. The exception is that some brakes will toss up a fair bit of debris on prone shots and as some have suggested the guide will need to take precautions - ear plugs usually - before the client shoots.

Sheep usually give the hunter/guide some leeway with time - whitetails, elk and moose less so and then there is bears.

IF the hunter is after bears then the guides tend to be less than thrilled with braked rifles because bear hunting/bear shooting often needs to happen in a timely fashion - or a great big hurry..... wink

We have a good friend who had hearing damage inflicted by a braked .340 Weatherby. While I can't recall all the details right now, I have waded into the shin tangle a time or three to root out a bear and can't recall having the time to plug my ears.

Truly if it was my hunter I'd do everything I could to handcuff him to a tree or the boat and extricate the bear solo - seems like the safe approach to me - but I also am cognizant that some hunters/clients can't be easily swayed.....

Anyway sir, just a few random thoughts that were shared with me over many years and cups of coffee. For what it's worth and all that.

All the best to you folks and good luck on your hunts this fall.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"