Sitka, I actually considered using some scrap walnut and finishing it in several ways, with and without the use of steel wool. But then, you had suggested (ranted) that the steel wool and wax I had used on that rifle stock would without a doubt lead to freckling when the broken bits of steel wool rusted that I had, in my ignorance, caused to be lodged in the finish. And you must be right, since the extreme surface temps brought on by my light rubbing of the stock with steel wool would most certainly cause steel particles to be snagged by the melted surface of the finish. So, with that in mind, why not just put water on the stock of a rifle that I had finished in the last year. Better yet, why not use salt water, which would cause a more rapid oxidation of the metal, and the freckling (per the Great and Powerful Oz, aka Sitka) would show up faster. But now you say that my approach isn't scientific enough. Well...per you the steel particles are definitely there. Why not just try to rust them. You aren't risking anything but credibility. I'm having to risk eating crow while also possibly screwing up a nice looking gunstock. No use trying to talk me out of it. I'm at the point where I really want to know. I never have seen any freckling on a gunstock I've finished, but maybe I need to mistreat the stock a bit more. Stay tuned.

Last edited by 603Country; 09/24/14.