I have been keeping track and this rimfire shortage started in early October of 2,012 - thats 24 full months now - going on 25!
I travel throughout the west and stop at gunshops, sporting goods stores and chain stores at every chance I get - mostly looking for quality 22 hollow-point ammo and 17 Mach2 ammo.
The consensus is (from the "knowledgeable" gunshops owners and ammo counter clerks I trust) that they simply are not getting as much quality 22 ammo and 17 Mach2 ammo as they did prior to this current and ongoing situation.
Frankly I am at a loss - some people claim the 22 ammo makers are pumping out more than ever and its simply being "hoarded" by "hoarders".
I don't think so - I mean how many months/years til the hoarders basements are full???
I tend to give creedence to those who contend that the ammo makers are making so much money selling factory loaded ammo that rimfire ammo and centerfire components have taken a back seat to this profit driven policy?
Again I don't know but tend to give this "contention/conjecture" more creedence than the 5 or 6 other theories that abound.
I mean 25 months and nothing but burps and spurts of 22 ammo just doesn't make sense to me - and there are no signs of the situation (let alone the PRICES!) for quality 22 hollow-point ammo ever getting back to "normal"!
I don't know - I guess I am just frustrated?
I have enough of one type 22 ammo for a year and a halfs worth of shooting but less than a years worth of my favored Winchester 40 grain Power-Points!
I don't even like to think about my store of 17 Mach2 ammo (not much!).
Sad situation - different than what I have lived with, to say the least.
I guess all we can do is roll with the punches?
Come on Winchester produce some 40 grain Power-Points.
There seems to be a fair amount of 17 HMR ammo on the shelves where I travel by.
Your thoughts appreciated.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy