Kenoh2: We travelled over 280 miles yesterday checking numerous chain stores, sporting goods stores and gunshops in 3 Montana cities and not a single round of 22 L.R. hollow-point ammo was to be found ANYWHERE!
Bulk packs at the Helena, Montana gunshow were priced from $50.00 to $65.00 and one pawn shop had Remington 525 pack hollow-points at $80.00!
One of my travel mates did buy a Deluxe rare edition Browning lever action 22 Rifle at Bob Wards in Butte, Montana for $849.00 and was offered a CCI 100 pack of NON-hollowpoints for $12.00 or a 40 round box of American Eagle hollow-points for $5.49!
Scalper prices nearly there - of ammo that is not available to the 22 ammo shooter but only to a rimfire firearm PURCHASER!!!
Counterfolks at 3 Bears Alaska, 2 Wal-Marts, Bob Wards, Bugs n Bullets, and 2 independant sporting goods stores/gunshops in Helena just laughed at us when we asked for 22 ammo.
Some 17 HMR was seen here and there on shelves (priced HIGH!) but no 17 Mach2 ammo at all.
Locally here, NO 22 ammo has been available in many weeks and EVERY non-resident Hunter that has come into the LGS here seems to ask for 22 ammo and comments from them concur its still extremely hard to find on shelves anywhere in their travels.
Kenoh2, what part of the world are you in? I have been getting the impression that back east and some mail order outlets are getting more ammo of late?
I wish this were over.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy