Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I had two 280 Ackleys. If I did it again I would just go 280. It actually has more cool factor now because nobody likes it anymore. If you need more than a 280, then probably time to step up to 7mag.

Agreed. I have been trying to wrap my head around the 280 AI for over 30 years, ever since my old pal on here RinB had both the Ackley and RCBS version. He seemed unimpressed and so was l...since l was stomping 280 improved velocities with about any 7RM l loaded for. So l never blew the coin to bother with it.

I hardly consider it an essential item for any active BG hunter. Other stuff works as well
or better. The cartridge is a favorite of rifle nuts on here but in a fairly active lifetime of BG hunting l have yet to see a single one afield anywhere...but someone must be using it!

The 280 AI is a "lesser included" in a standard 7 rem mag. I also get the same ballistics from my FF loads (low pressure) for the 7mm Mashburn in the same action and barrel length with greater reserves for heavier bullets.

Those here will have to forgive me if the cartridge causes me to yawn.

Last edited by BobinNH; 10/25/14.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.