Have had a number of them over the years.

Don's post was just a cheap shot--an idiot could produce the same results with any cartridge. They are idiots and brainfarts involved in handloading...

Go with the SAAMI version, it is slightly different than the older version and Nosler brass works very well--been buying Nosler 280AI brass since it came out.

280AI Versions

Buying Nosler brass and handloading the SAAMI is the easy way to get the most out of the 06 parent case. The Nosler manual's results are spot on for current rifle. I run a 24" and subtract 50fps to line up with Nosler's result. It outruns all similar SD bullets from other versions on the 06 parent case. The Gibbs is an exception, but it is a PITA to make, for me, and you have a short neck to boot.

Recoil-wise, you can build a 280AI from a 1 to 1 1/2# lighter than a 7RM - 7WB. Have and shoot them--am fond of the 7WB in a weightier format. This elk season reminded me that there are good reasons to carry a lighter rifle--getting older is on that list.

I basically shoot mine with 140s now and with today's bullets it is the single best bullet weight for the cartridge...for me. Have run them all including the 175 for a while in a long-throated rifle. To run a heavier bullet now, I go with the mag cases. For shooting longer
& more comfortably, a 6.5...

Am also very fond of a 280 on hand. Noted this past year after snagging 100 Nosler Long Range 150's that the long boat-tail (about 3x) sits deeply in the case. The AI version will recover case capacity given up to VLD type bullets. Throating longer will not help you with that particular bullet...:)

If deciding to use a single rifle it would be the 280AI with 140-160s to cover game.

Defend the Constitution