Originally Posted by plumashntr
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by plumashntr

Thanks to some of the guys here for advice, I will tell my brother to make his a 280 ackley.

Rechambering a factory barrel that isn�t getting the velocity one is looking for is throwing good money at bad. The barrel is likely still going to be slow, but now it will be slow with a few hundred extra dollars sunk into set back/rechambering and new dies. What I�m trying to not so eloquently say is that rechambering won�t fix the slow velocity issue if the barrel has loose bore dimensions.

Also, I�m not sure what being a �reloading chicken� is, but a 280 AI isn�t going to change things. If that means your brother backs down when pressure signs are encountered on the brass, he is a smart man, as pressure signs don�t often occur until over 70,000 psi.

Have him load some 120 ttsxs at 3150 fps in the factory barrel, and he�ll not want for a 280 AI any longer.

Originally Posted by 338Rules

Originally Posted by RinB
Also the idea that a 280 AI is lighter than a 7 mag is just wrong thinking. Same stock, same barrel, same action...the magnum will be slightly lighter because the chamber removes a little more steel.

Kimber 84L changes that

The problem there being the throat length to magazine length on the Kimber 280 AI. Long throat, not so long mag box.

Prairie goat, my brother has a krieger chomoly #2 finished at 22" ready to be reamed, he was debating on either 280 or improved. what's to hurt by going improve, still be able to shoot the old 280 and look cool. It's his gun, so he can build it whatever he likes. As for me, doesn't matter if I am shooting a 7 mag, 308 or 270, I limit all my shots to 300 yards so deer won't know the difference and so do I.

You originally mentioned a rechamber, not a rebarrel, hence my comments regarding rechambering. If going with a new barrel, a 280 AI is a fine choice. In fact it's just as good as a 270 or 30-06.

P.S. I would seriously consider a SS barrel for a backpack rifle.