Originally Posted by plumashntr

Thanks to some of the guys here for advice, I will tell my brother to make his a 280 ackley.

Rechambering a factory barrel that isn�t getting the velocity one is looking for is throwing good money at bad. The barrel is likely still going to be slow, but now it will be slow with a few hundred extra dollars sunk into set back/rechambering and new dies. What I�m trying to not so eloquently say is that rechambering won�t fix the slow velocity issue if the barrel has loose bore dimensions.

Also, I�m not sure what being a �reloading chicken� is, but a 280 AI isn�t going to change things. If that means your brother backs down when pressure signs are encountered on the brass, he is a smart man, as pressure signs don�t often occur until over 70,000 psi.

Have him load some 120 ttsxs at 3150 fps in the factory barrel, and he�ll not want for a 280 AI any longer.

Originally Posted by 338Rules

Originally Posted by RinB
Also the idea that a 280 AI is lighter than a 7 mag is just wrong thinking. Same stock, same barrel, same action...the magnum will be slightly lighter because the chamber removes a little more steel.

Kimber 84L changes that

The problem there being the throat length to magazine length on the Kimber 280 AI. Long throat, not so long mag box.