Weighing cases is a bigger pita for me than trimming.

An AI get you 4-5 more grains capacity. Which ain't much...but its more capacity. It will get you 50fps or 2" of barrel. Prior to having any book guidance the AI figures were all over the map for a few decades-which stands to reason--heck, look at some of the stuff posted today on the internet today about somebody's favorite wildcat.

Everyone knew/knows the 280 was loaded light and there wasn't any real empirical guidance to load it to "where it could be" apart from a comparison to similarly constructed bullets with like SD in the 270. And that really didn't matter to guys claiming more wondrous results.

Nosler SAAMIing was a big service to 280 handloaders as it gives a guy real empirical data to work with. Factory cases are a bonus. Prior to that I could see detractors raising a fuss about it and defending the merits of their favorite competing cartridge in its stead ad nauseum--but today its just another cartridge with its fps in the book for everybody to see.

What it's going to show you is 50fps more than a standard 280 could have been if loaded to 270 pressures. The xtra capacity comes in handy with 160s using book COAL. That's about it and that enough for me for some applications.

Feed-wise, it takes a little more pressure to get a long extractor hook (if you still use one) over the rim--but that is true of any sharp shouldered case. Any more feed issues than that is on the mechanic...in a M-700 type there should never be an issue...

Defend the Constitution