Originally Posted by stevelyn
Originally Posted by Calvin
I can't believe anybody would thing that any "good" would come from legalization.

It's not about the good coming from marijuana by legalizing it. It's about stopping the harm being caused by prohibition.

One would assume there must be more good - or at least less bad- if legalizing makes the logical sense that some would suggest. And that's the crux of the ballot measure in Alaska. They're suggesting that there will be less resources needed to enforce less laws and regs if it is legalized. Yet many people seem to agree that it would do away with the actual number; in fact add even more.

If you try to use the "doing away with harm" argument, we could suggest legalizing meth (so that real Suda-fed will again be available OTC), outlawing sex (since some people cause great harm by it), outlaw guns (since they are used by some to cause harm, etc.)

I have absolutely no use for the stuff and wouldn't do anything to promote it whether it were legal or not. (Nor do I encourage the use of alcohol, though I do enjoy a decent beer from time to time.) But I certainly don't buy the Alaska pot promotions which suggest that legalizing will save money or resources. Quite the contrary. (And when they (Alaska) taxes it hard enough - and you know they will if you pay attention to the tobacco and alcohol taxes we have- the black market will thrive again, just as it is now. The resources that will consume will be much greater than what they are now - by far.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.