Originally Posted by Pappy348
Guns like the CVAs fill a need, as do the really inexpensive guns. Ballisticaly, they're all the same. I tend to buy stuff that I think is nice, interesting, and well made, but other folks just want to hunt. Not much sense in someone like that dropping a grand on something they will only use a few days a year.

I've long liked the idea of a fast .45, but a .50 makes more sense for me as I can shoot .40, .452, and .458s in sabots and also full caliber .50s. The .45s thAt appeal the most to me are the Whitworths and Pedersoli .45 target and Mortimer rifles. The .45 percussion Sharps are also interesting, but not legal here for ML season. Maybe someday...

And in a fast twist 45 i can shoot similar weight conicals with a much higher sectional density and ballistic coefficient. I can also shoot any 45cal a 50cal can shoot but without a sabot. The only thing i can not shoot in a 45cal is a 50cal bullet and the vast majority of those have a terrible BC.

When i want to shoot a 50cal bullet i load them up in a 54x50 sabot. The Rem700ML in 54cal with a hunter bolt kit is a beast. Resizing 50cals for sabotless have far less options than the 45cals.