Friendly fire incident and the IDF was up front about it from the start, to say other wise is pure BS, Its not like we never had a Friendly fire incident in our history now, I can recall a few in the last 15 years, there is the smart bombs that landed on an A-team and members of the northern alliance, then there was that mistake in Gulf War I were a pair of A-10 hosed down the british, then there is the opening days of Operation Cobra in world war two, B-17 unloaded on our own troops and the highest ranking American officer to be Killed in Action was the result of it. In war this sort of thing while tragic, is also to be expected, that is if you plan on winning the wars you are forced to fight, while the Israelis are no angles, nobody is, they are pretty restrained when it comes to their ability to project power, they fight when forced to no more no less and for them all it takes is for them to just loose one, and they are gone, so in the 60 + years of their existence , they have a military excellence that is second to none, never mind what they do in the hard sciences and engineering, few in number but a lot of noble prize winners! I will take the Jews and Israel over anybody else in the Middle East and in Europe with the Exception of Great Britain any day of the week if it came to pass that I would have to leave America! But I will put my two cents into what happened with the liberty, an World War Two era ship, a lot of nations at the time had similar vessels, the Israeli Airforce was flying around the clock, we are talking about an air force at the time of 200 airplanes or less, flying 5 to 6 strikes a day, my guess it was a combination of mistaken identity and pilot fatigue. Lack of good rest is better understood now than then, it was a accident nothing more, it happens

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov