I have vast experience in deer and elk hunting with about any caliber from 22 rimfire to 416 Taylor. I have never been around a 45-70 very often and am not convinced of its stopping power on charging game. I have shot 2 mule deer bucks is all with a 45-70 and both were spinal cord neck shots and they dropped on the spot. But that reaction would happen if shot with a 22 as well. Experts state that a minimum 2000 fps impact velocity is required to create hydrostatic shock. Few hot 45-70 loads reach the minimum at muzzle. The one and only deer I shot with a 12 gauge foster slug was shot between the eyes at 3 feet away (it was a road cripple needing to be killed). I missed the brain by an inch and it only blinked and looked at me, NO knockdown factor. What I am asking the members here, is to tell their experience's with the big slugs of the 45-70 caliber and what the animals reaction was. I read years ago that the 30-30 was a far faster killing cartridge on moose in Alaska than the old 45-70's were. Of course this was in the old days with the old military loads. I am not interested in head and spinal shots as about any caliber will give the same results as the 45-70. What are your experiences?