Originally Posted by stuvwxyz
I have vast experience in deer and elk hunting with about any caliber from 22 rimfire to 416 Taylor. I have never been around a 45-70 very often and am not convinced of its stopping power on charging game. I have shot 2 mule deer bucks is all with a 45-70 and both were spinal cord neck shots and they dropped on the spot. But that reaction would happen if shot with a 22 as well. Experts state that a minimum 2000 fps impact velocity is required to create hydrostatic shock. Few hot 45-70 loads reach the minimum at muzzle. The one and only deer I shot with a 12 gauge foster slug was shot between the eyes at 3 feet away (it was a road cripple needing to be killed). I missed the brain by an inch and it only blinked and looked at me, NO knockdown factor. What I am asking the members here, is to tell their experience's with the big slugs of the 45-70 caliber and what the animals reaction was. I read years ago that the 30-30 was a far faster killing cartridge on moose in Alaska than the old 45-70's were. Of course this was in the old days with the old military loads. I am not interested in head and spinal shots as about any caliber will give the same results as the 45-70. What are your experiences?

There are an awful lot of us here in Alaska that carry 45-70's with the intention of fending off big nasties if the need arises. Mine is an 1895 Marlin, 20 inch barrel and stoked with 405 grain Remington FP's clocking 1750 fps.

I don't know if it will stop a charging bear. I'm betting it will cause that's what I carry. That load did a great job on a moose several years ago. Partner had put two pretty ineffectual shots into this bull before I hit him broadside at 35 yards. He expired very quickly with chunks of lung hanging out the exit wound. I shot a mule deer doe many years back with similar results with that load.

I don't often hunt with it but it is my fishing, berry picking, meat packing, have it in camp and handy at all times rifle.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.