Well, that was a rather gentle "call out" grin (I just happened on this thread for no particular reason other than the 45-70 label on it.)

As for the effectiveness of the modern 45-70 when applied to bigger animals, I guess my own experience is that it is certainly more than the 30-30 when it comes to penetration and time involved in terminating life. Is it a 'stopping round'? I'd have to say no more or less so than a 30-06, 338 Win Mag, or 375 H&H. For that, shot placement with adequate bullets is really the only thing that matters.

As noted by others I've killed moose with my #1 and it works with at least as much certainty as any 30 or higher caliber I've used. Certainly I had no complaints about about driving stubby 300 grain bullets through both shoulders with either C&C or copper type bullets. And a single 350 (Northfork) was an immediate show-stopper when I ran one through the shoulder and chest of a running bear (at over 200 yards). Then again, I made a very similar shot on the first bear I killed (with a 375 H&H) and it - a small brown- was floored but recovered to absorb four more hits with the same rifle.

I often keep a Marlin lever handy when we go picnicking, berry-picking, or swimming in coastal areas where bears roam. I use it with the same combination of confidence and humility that I do when I carry anything else. The 45-70 isn't magic, nor is it a paltry round by any means. What you do with what you have matters most.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.