My kit sucks. It all works too well to abandon, or rather well enough that I don't feel I will be abandoned. There isn't anything else positive I can say however. I look back in my mentality while putting all this stuff together and realize that it was all tempered by healthy dose of the attitude that safety defines functionality. I can safely spend the night out over and over again in single digits on a thermarest in my 20degree down bag under a unsuspended poncho. Good enough!!! I can safely eschew raingear as long as I sleep in my wet clothes every night so they dry. Good enough. And since all my clothes are heavy- it's important to keep that one set I'm wearing "serviceable" because I doubt ill carry any extra. So again- serviceability drives the bus while comfort stands in the station wondering why he can't ever seem to get there intone to catch the bus. I eat like the op- but add hot drinks, ie tea coffee bullion even just hot water. I use a whisper light though because there is nothing less functional than canisters in the cold at any altitude above 1500'

Anyway. I have placed too much premium on durability- feeling a piece of kit should be able to endure the same level of abuse and hardship that I am. This has lead to myself and my kit needlessly enduring alot of hardship.

On a recent NON-backpacking 1 week steelhead fishing trip with nights in the low teens I brought my "backpacking" kit while my buddy brought a kingdome8 and a cot and a posh pad etc. he was like- dude- we have a Crew cab longbed f350, why didn't you bring something to sleep on"

"Exactly- we've got the truck. If its that bad- I have a contingency plan"

Freaking cold trip. 2 nights it was cold enough i let my lab sleep in his truck.