Will improve my tipi stove.

I'm glad I built one and tried it in fairly deep cold before selecting and buying an obviously better commercially made stove.

My first stove was 5x5x9.5" with flat top useful for cooking. Used in -20 to -25F range, when red hot it would keep the temps above freezing in the upper half of the tipi. Frost never left the lower tipi sides and cooking on the stove plus breath of two people kept building frost condensation on the walls. Even so it felt wondrously warm in the tipi compared to outside.

The stove galloped between red hot and almost going out in cycles of about three minutes. It would not maintain warmth in a space as large as the 6 man tipi in temps that cold. It had to be fed fairly dry sticks constantly. A better designed stove would undoubtedly improve performance but the voracious appetite for fuel soured me on really small stoves. I have already built a cylinder stove that is 10 inches diameter and 13 inches long. The tipi, extra cord and quite a few stakes fit inside the stove.

Also have some ideas about first time rolling of a titanium stove pipe but that is probably better in a thread of its own.