Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
I've been playing around with faster twists the last couple of years. It may be a freak occurrence, but well, things seem to die faster...

I don't have empirical data. I've just noticed more trauma and quicker deaths. Could be a coincidence or maybe there is something to it....

Whatcha think?
My gunsmith has been building 8 twist .30cal rifles for years for long range hunting with excellent results. Superb accuracy and quick kills with 200gr SMKs in .300 Win Mag and faster cartridges. I may order a fast twist barrel for my Savage 116 when cash flow improves, just to try it out. And in last year's issue of issue of Sniper Magazine was an article by Todd Hodnett: "The Future of Twist Rates". He's been working with a 1:7.8 twist .308, and a buddy of his is using a 1:4 twist .308 with fine results. Don't know if any of you have seen this yet, but it's an interesting read. I did a quick search for the article, but couldn't find it on line. Perhaps someone with stronger google fu can find it.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard