Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Originally Posted by savage24
Originally Posted by bubahome

Having you house paid off is a terrible choice. It's not earning you a thing. While you are still working refinance it (you can get 100% if your a vet) at about 3.5% after tax interest rate. Invest that money that and decent broker can get you 5-6% on.
Now you have an income stream to pay the mortgage as well as a large lump of money you can get at.

While that may be worth considering for many people, I've got to disagree with your assertion that having the roof over one's head paid for is a "terrible choice".
I've been making a mortgage payment most of my adult life. My first house is paid for and now producing income as a rental. My primary residence will be paid for in the spring, shortly after I turn 50. I've got almost 400K in retirement funds now and there will be plenty of money for a broker to work with in the next 10 to 15 years since I won't be making mortgage payments.
There ain't nothin I will need or want in retirement worth mortgaging my home for!

+1000 Having a mortgage payment is about as dumb an idea as I can think of going into retirement.

Ok, but I'm all against loading up lots of money into a house. Lots easier to leave if you only have 10K invested vice 150K.

10K house? WTH are you talking about? I want to do some traveling in retirement, but I also expect to spend a lot more waking hours at home than I do now. Livin' in a 10K house ain't livin' a'tall!

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel