Originally Posted by tisha
Ny basic inquiry would be, WHY would anyone want a 1-8 1/2 twist in a 7mag?? that would seem to be for use with a 175 gr or so bullet. Might stabilize lighter ones, but why go for the long heavy bullets when not needed on Sheep. Also, though could just be personal preference, why a 7Mag? why not a 280 Rem or O'Connor's 270. He killed a number of sheep with that round. Warren Page used an (essentially) 7mmRem mag, and one load, with the 175gr bullet. But he was an experienced hunter, so using a perhaps slightly overweight bullet not a big disadvantage (Warren killed over 400 head of game with his rifle, so knew it well). Seems to me some people start looking at a project, and then don't get all the information they need on what will be needed. Like Dwayne noted, a whole lot of sheep shot under 100 yds. So why not a 280 or 06?

Why not a 7mm? I'd also twist it similar.I'd like twist for mono's and heavies. Sounds pretty well thought out to me, except having to ask what bullet.

With that twist I'm betting he had heavies in mind. I'd roll with 180 bergers or Scenar-L's. I use the 180 Scenars in my 7.