Dwayne,

You bring up some good points.

Apparently where the guy will be hunting is a VERY limited draw area--which is what we have here in Montana, except for a few unlimited areas. I am pretty familiar with some of our areas and their sheep, due to having scouted many over the years, while hoping to draw a tag, plus hunting one area myself for a ewe, and going along with other people on various hunts.

In general, the sheep in the draw areas are pretty damn tame, because they rarely get hunted. A friend and I used to canoe the Missouri River through the Breaks the first week of the rifle season for mule deer (which is several weeks into the bighorn season), and often ran into sheep. Somewhere I still have a photo of my friend aiming (but not shooting) at a BIG ram standing 60-75 yards away, looking at us as if he was inspecting a likely ewe.

I also accompanied the same friend on a late-season ewe hunt (his tag) in the Rock Creek area, then famous for big rams. We found "his" ewe running around on a steep and snowy mountainside about 2000 feet above us, being chased by more than one ram. We climbed up there and my buddy shot the ewe at maybe 100 yards, and as we field-dressed it a HUGE ram stood on a rock outcropping 30 yards above us, looking down as curiously as the Breaks ram. As we dragged the ewe back down the mountain, we ran across at number of big, mature rams at easy rifle range.

When I drew my ewe tag a few years ago for a local herd near the town we live in, shortly after the season opened in mid-September I found a ewe/lamb herd at the base of some cliffs. On the hike up to the cliffs I passed within less than 300 yards of a herd of six mature rams, bedded down on an open slope. They never even stood up as I passed by.

Could relate a bunch of other stories, but in general the difficulty in getting a ram in our draw areas doesn't involve getting within easy range. Instead it involves finding THE ram (some are so well-known they acquire nicknames until some lucky tag-holder kills them). Sometimes this requires considerable hiking, but sometimes it just involves glassing from roads during the rut.

The unlimited areas are an entirely different story.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck