Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Originally Posted by ctsmith
I don't scrutinize over glass much, as long as its in the ballpark I call it good, but I've compared the NF 42mm head to head with the Zeiss HD5 (which is better than the VX3) and the NF gets the edge.

I've read some people complaining here on the fire about the NF image not stacking up against some of the competitors. I can only say that Clint's NF 2-10x42 has better glass than my 2-10 HD 5. My HD5 with the Rapid Z 600 was my preferred scope... Right up to the point it failed me... The LRHS is riding my .308 now. It works well. My only wishes are for a little coarser reticle and a bit less weight.

All things considered, I'm thinking the 2-10x42 NF might be the pinnacle of long range hunting scopes. NF reliability, reasonable weight given that reliability and great glass too. That's a hard combination to find at ANY price.

John

Uh Oh, what happened? This too has become my preferred hunting scope, love the Rapid Z-600 reticle and the 300 m parallax setting, but your report suggests its failure rate may be a problem.

WRT glass quality/performance in a big game hunting sight, I don't stress too much about it either. Most glass is pretty good these days. IMO, a 0-600 yard capable reticle, adequate eye-relief, ability to hold zero over time/travel/recoil, and appropriate parallax calibration/adjustment are more important.