Originally Posted by gunswizard
...I stand behind my assertion that the legalization of the .44 Magnum for deer hunting in Indiana was a good thing, larger centerfire calibers is NOT.

Originally Posted by IN DNR 2014-15 Hunting regulations
...Rifles with cartridges that fire a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger; have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches; and have a maximum case length of 1.8 inches are legal to use only during the deer firearms and special antlerless seasons...

...Handguns, other than muzzleloading, must have a barrel at least 4 inches long and must fire a bullet of .243-inch diameter or larger. The handgun cartridge case, without the bullet, must be at least 1.16 inches long. Full metal-jacketed bullets are not permitted. The handgun must not be a rifle that has a barrel less than 18 inches or be designed or redesigned to be fired from the shoulder....

Gunswizard, I think you are arguing that you don�t even like the current regulations with the exception of the 44 Mag and believe the proposed regulation changes will make deer hunting less safe. A point you maybe missing is that "larger centerfire calibers" are already legal for deer hunting in Indiana. The new rule won�t be allowing centerfire rifles for the first time. The new rule will actually be applying them uniformly to rifles and handguns (see above from IN DNR). While IN DNR mentions some rounds that are and are not legal, the actual regulations are written very, very loosely. It is not hard to work around them and use what you are calling "larger centerfire calibers".

I hunt with a bolt action rifle that is chambered for 35 Remington trimmed to 1.8 inches and is capable of shooting 200 gr bullet at 2300 to 2400 fps. There are also a fair number of 45-70, WSSM, WSM and 35 Winchester wildcats in use. The 450 Bushmaster, 458 Socom, 460 S&W aren�t small, low powered cartridges either. Also, If any of us wanted to, it is perfectly legal to hunt with a handgun in 243, 7mm-08m, 30-06 or 338 Win Mag if that floats your boat. The tools to shoot 200-300 yards are already there. The current rule will allow equal application between handguns and rifles.

As many have already asserted, people do stupid things at times. Well intentioned and cautious people make mistakes. Even if all we could hunt with were atlatls, then hunters would still be tempted to make shots beyond their ability. That is the nature of hunting and people. I don�t believe the proposed rule will change any of that.

In my opinion the rule changes for the past decade have reflected IN DNR�s desire to have more options to manage the deer herd. The rule changes have always made it �easier� to hunt deer in Indiana. Allowing 410 shot gun, new doe seasons, increased quotas for does, the rifle rules all make it easier for someone to hunt successfully in IN and allows the DNR to achieve their deer population goal. These are likely the goals IN DNR has in mind.

And, in my opinion it just sounds FUN!

Sincerely,

Scott

Last edited by SWJ; 01/20/15.