It will take a bit of time but using centerfire rifles will change the way Indiana hunters hunt. Generally they will become more precision shooters. I have hunted opening morning in many states over the years that use centerfire rifles. One shot here and there. The scariest morning of my life was my first hunt in Ohio ,at the time it was a slug only state. Sounded like a war. Guys taking multiple shots at every deer. Never seen anything like it. Lead flying everywhere. Some Guys were coming back to the trucks saying they had shot ten to fifteen times. Indiana will be just like every other state that uses centerfire. One shot kills will be the norm not the exception. The fewer follow up shots that are taken the safer the woods will be. We all know those second and third shots are generally on running deer and more likely to be wild than the first.
As to what caliber or rifle I would use ? I would select it depending on where I was hunting and how I was hunting just like i would in any other state. But you cant go wrong with any of the all around standard deer calibers in a bolt action rifle with a 20-24 inch barrel decent scope. But use what you got and enjoy it.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.