My back-up rifle is equal to my main rifle, in fact it is the exact same set-up. So there is no adjustment. If for any reason my main rifle gives me a headache, which it never has, then just swap it out. Additionally, I can pass one of each to each of my boys but hopefully that won't be for a long while.

As far as a loner rifle, it more depends on the person. If it is someone who is careful, respectful of their own equipment. Then, I would have no problem loaning my main or back-up rifle to them. If it is someone who shows little or no respect for their own property/equipment, I would probably loan them one of the boys rifles so I don't have to worry about the scratches and dings since they already have "character".

So to answer the question from the op, it really depends on the person. It could be a less desirable rifle or it could be my go to top of my line rifle. But even my less desirable rifles are rifles that I personally have hunted with and will hunt with in the future, they just are not top of my line and are the rifles that my 9 and 15 year old boys hunt with currently.

I would not have a gun of any type in my limited collection that I would not personally hunt. Its like when you throw a party don't buy the cheapest liquor you can find because you maybe the one who ends up drinking it. Get something that is serviceable from your prospective, maybe not your favorite but something you would be comfortable with using.